K.1: Calendar events
|Theme:||Developing identity and self-esteem|
|Learning Area:||Personal Development, Health and Physical Education|
Students develop ability to relate well to others by acknowledging a diversity of significant events such as birthdays and festivals.
- Daily, weekly or monthly use of a multicultural calendar such as the Calendar for cultural diversity 2016 [PDF] will assist students to understand the nature of diverse cultural celebrations, national and international special days as well as highlight individual students’ birthdays.
- Birthdays of students which occur during school holidays may be recognised at the beginning or end of term.
- Note that in some cultures and beliefs, birthdays are not celebrated. It may be appropriate to substitute other days of significance for some students.
- Calendar for cultural diversity 2016 [PDF] or similar multicultural calendar. Limited hard copies of the Calendar for Cultural Diversity are available at the beginning of each school/ calendar year.
- Introduce a multicultural calendar and use it as a resource to construct a class birthday chart. You may use the Calendar for cultural diversity 2016 [PDF] or similar multicultural calendar.
- Write each student’s name against the date of their birthday on the chart.
- Each day, week or month, using the calendar and birthday chart, read out the key celebrations or events for that day.
- When it is a student’s birthday, point out any other special occasions celebrated on their day. These may also be used as an activity focus.