1.8: Making choices
|Theme:||Being comfortable with difference|
|Age Group:||Year 1|
Students select a widening range of texts for enjoyment and pleasure and discuss reasons for their choice.
Teachers should ensure that a diversity of texts is available for students to select including a diversity of themes as well as formats.
- A variety of books
- Spread a variety of books on the floor e.g. ABC book, picture books, non-fiction books, story books and/or big books. Ask each student to choose a book.
- Ask students to sit in a circle with their chosen book. Begin by modelling:
- I chose a picture book because....
- Ask students to take turns to explain their choices.
- Emphasise that there are no right or wrong answers. Conclude by explaining that we all make choices to suit our own tastes and values.
- Students could draw or write about their favourite character in the story, or complete a recount.