1.1: Who am I?
|Theme:||Developing identity and self esteem|
|Age Group:||Year 1|
Students make short presentation using some introduced text structures and language.
This activity encourages students to create positive affirmations about their own ability and/ or characteristics.
- Stars or other prizes, set of blank numbered cards, record sheet
- Introduce this activity by explaining that every individual has qualities which make them unique and contribute to their identity.
- Ask students to write short statements about themselves using the
handout: Who am I? [DOC]. Discuss appropriate qualities to include and model some descriptive statements. To encourage a variety of responses, ensure that students write their statements individually and preferably away from the influence of friends.
- Collect the descriptions and re-write the statements onto numbered cards ensuring that students’ names are not on the cards but recorded on a separate sheet against the appropriate card number.
- In turn, ask each student to select a card to read to the class. The class must try to guess who is being described. Allow three guesses before revealing the correct answer. Students who guess correctly get a star or other prize. If no one guesses correctly, the person who is being described receives the star or prize.